Mercury Rising Triathlon: Mighty GirlsCost:
Cost: Each 8 week term will cost $175.00 +GST per child. If you are registering for both sessions, the fee will be $320.00 +GST per child. We do offer family discounts for families who are registering two or more children for the program. Please email Breanne @ email@example.com for more information on family rates.Session descriptions:
Wednesday nights will be focused on developing physical literacy and foundational movement skills that can be transferred to other activities and sporting activities. This session will be a prep for all sports, but is designed to transfer the girls to our summer triathlon program. Based on the weather and daylight, some of these sessions may be outside.
Sunday sessions will be a pool based session with the focus on developing essential swim skills both for triathlon and competitive swimming, as well as working on the acquisition of fitness based dryland skills.
- Girls who are 6-10 years of age are welcome to participate in the Mighty Girls program.
- Wednesday nights from 6:00pm-7:00pm @ Campus View Elementary School gymnasium
- Sunday from 11:15am-12:00pm @ Crystal Pool on Quadra St.
- Sessions will begin Wednesday October 11th and each term will be 8 weeks in length, with a fall program (October start) and a winter program (January start).
- swimsuit & goggles (Sunday)
- comfy clothes to move around in and non-marking running shoes (Wednesday nights)
- bike and helmet (if weather permits, for a couple Wednesday night practices. Which practices these are will be communicated to all parents via email.)
- positive attitude, willingness to try new activities, and a smile and ready to have lots of fun
Head Coach - Breanne Drouin
Breanne is thrilled to be coaching the MRT Mighty Kids Triathlon Program and is looking forward to bringing her athletic experiences and academic background to the MRT coaching family. With an undergraduate degree in physical education, a teaching degree for physical and health education, and a graduate degree in sport and exercise psychology, Breanne has developed an innovative and unique triathlon experience for children and youth that is focused on developing skills, having fun, and improving physical literacy. Combined with her diverse athletic background (ranging from elite youth ballet, varsity swimming, and almost a decade of racing triathlon) and her love of coaching children and youth, she is excited to launch this new program through Mercury Rising Triathlon.
Support coaching from our amazing group of MRT coaching staff.A few facts on girls in sport from the Canadian Association for the Advancement of Women in Sport
- Only 8% of girls meet the recommendations of the Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines yet nearly all the parents reported their children as being very active.
- Girls comprise 39% of registered competitors and 38% of recreational participants in National Sport Organizations.
- Physical activity has been proven to improve self-esteem and confidence, improve fitness, improve academic performance in school, develop and learn new skills and foundational movement skills.
- Childhood is the ideal time to develop a foundation for physical activity that will last to adulthood.
- Age 10 is the KEY. If a girl doesn’t participate in sports by the time she is 10 years of age, the likelihood that she will be active at the age of 25 is reduced to only 10%.
For any questions and/or registration information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
There are a variety of funding opportunities for youth sports that parents/caregivers can access to help with costs associated. If finances are a barrier to participation for your child/children, please email email@example.com and we can discuss some of the opportunities that exist.